According to the high court records in England, Donald Trump has filed a lawsuit against a former MI6 officer and the intelligence business he created.
Orbis Business Intelligence and its founder, former CIA Russia desk chief Christopher Steele, are being sued by the former US president, who is already bogged down in lawsuits in his country.
A two-day hearing for the legal action has been scheduled to begin on October 16, according to a court order released on Thursday, as reported by the PA news agency.
The current frontrunner for the Republican presidential candidacy in 2024 is not scheduled to attend, and no additional facts of the case have been made public.
The charges that Trump had been “compromised” by the Russian security service, the FSB, were included in the so-called Steele dossier, written by Christopher Steele.
A plan to “cultivate” Trump as a presidential contender for “at least five years” was also allegedly “sponsored and supervised” by Vladimir Putin, according to the dossier that was leaked to BuzzFeed in 2017. Trump said they were untrue.
Russian national Aleksej Gubarev has already sued Steele and Orbis Business Intelligence for libel over the dossier’s publication, holding them legally accountable for BuzzFeed’s publication. However, the suit was rejected by Mr. Justice Warby in a ruling issued in October 2020.
A federal investigation investigating Trump’s unsuccessful efforts to overthrow Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory as president is the fourth time Trump has been indicted on criminal charges. Trump has often claimed that the litigation against him is part of a politically driven, Democratic witch-hunt as he pursues reelection to the presidency.
This Thursday, the judge hearing his federal election meddling case brought by special counsel Jack Smith rejected the former president’s plea that she recuse herself due to charges of bias.
Tanya Chutkan, the judge, said she ruled that his attorneys did not provide sufficient evidence for those accusations.
After determining last month that he can remain “fair and impartial,” Judge Juan Manuel Merchan, who presides over the hush-money case against the ex-president of the United States, likewise declined to recuse himself.