Doors Fall Of Plane Mid Flight Over New York

At around 6 p.m. Monday, a small aircraft carrying two individuals reported missing a door while flying over the Stiglmeier Park area, prompting a plea for help. According to the Cheektowaga police, the call went to the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

An aircraft registry listing the Rochester, New York, owner as Hundred Dollar Hamburger LLC identifies the plane as a Diamond Star (piston-single) (DA40). Just over seven minutes later, they were passed while the aircraft was airborne.

There have been no reports of casualties or property damage, and the police have said that the jet landed safely. Police officers combed the neighborhood, but they couldn’t locate the door.

Embraer first-class departed from Signature Aviation, formerly Prior Aviation, at 5:39 on Monday night. After the emergency, the flight route abruptly changed course, although it was still heading south into Stiglmeier Park. Within seven minutes of takeoff, the pilot returned to the airport after completing a circle above the Losson Road neighborhood.

Thanks to Broadcastify, there are recordings of the plane’s conversations with air traffic control.

Due to an emergency, the plane’s passengers were told they were returning to the airport. After receiving the communication, air traffic control instructed them to go inbound and requested that they specify the cause of the problem as soon as possible.

Not long after, the aircraft sent another message stating they were in an emergency and had lost their rear door; air traffic control then informed them that they could land on whatever runway they wished.

An incident in the Netherlands in 2011 was comparable to this event. In an eleven-page study, the Dutch Safety Board noted that a Diamond Star had a rear door malfunction while in flight. According to the report, the pilot reportedly saw the door handle coming loose from its closed position.

The committee determined that the door handle was most likely not locked while the door had too much play in the hinge.

The police informed the FAA on Tuesday morning that they were now in charge of the investigation and would help with any demands made by the FAA.